Evaporative Cooling for Data Centres
Evaporative Cooling offer minimum maintenance and are safe to operate
Evaporative cooling for data centres & IT
The use of electricity in the IT sector has both financial and environmental significance. Many data centres consume as much electricity in their cooling systems as in their servers. This has both cost and power availability implications.
How these systems operate in Data Centres
In very cold climates such as the Nordics and Arctic circle, where ambient temperatures never exceed 25°C, fresh air can be used all year round to cool a data centre. This is called free cooling and EcoCooling’s ECV range is designed specifically to exploit these climates to achieve world-class levels of efficiency without the need for supplementary cooling. However, in warmer conditions, or when IT equipment requires cooler inlet temperatures, free cooling alone cannot meet the required internal conditions, supplementary cooling is required on the hotter days. SMARTech Cooling uses direct evaporative cooling in their products and systems as an energy efficient and reliable alternative to refrigeration for data centre cooling.
Standard external CREC® system: 60kW evaporative cooling module for data centres
The CREC® control system operates the EcoCoolers in different modes depending on the ambient conditions, systems can be controlled using both humidity and temperature parameters. These modes maximise the EcoCoolers’ efficiency and performance and are tuned during the commissioning process for individual facilities:
Ventilation: Energy efficient fans move fresh air through the area being cooled and transport heat away.
Attemperation/Recirculation: During colder weather, the CREC® control system automatically mixes hot recirculated air with cold external air to supply air at a predefined set-point temperature.
Evaporative Cooling: During hot weather, air is moved over a wetted CELdek® cooling pad. The air temperature is reduced as the water evaporates. Temperature compliance can be achieved with no need for mechanical refrigeration.
N.B. In ECV FreeCooling systems there are no evaporative cooling media, therefore, there are only 2 modes of operation, ventilation and attemperation.
CREC installation with filter walls and EC fans. When fresh air is used in a data centre there can be a risk of either particulate or gaseous contamination. The quality of the air in the locality of the data centre can affect the feasibility of the use of fresh air. It is now normal to fit filtration to a minimum of EU4/G4 standards. We would usually advise dual filtration for IT installations. Air intake filtration (pre-filter jackets) is designed to eliminate potential contamination from external air. In addition cartridge filters can be used in either ducting or as replacement ceiling tiles to filter the recirculated air.
EC Fans – Efficient Airflow through your Data Centre
Electronically commutated (EC) fans are driven by a micro-controller instead of a traditional AC motor. The technology provides the following advantages:
- Increased speed control: EC technology enables continuous adjustment of the fan speed to meet the cooling demands of the data centre. The control systems are designed to take advantage of the energy savings which can be gained by reducing fan speeds.
- Low power usage at partial loads: The effect of fan speed on power drain is governed by a cubed relationship, meaning that at half the speed the fan will be using an eighth of the electricity. Operating the system at half speed reduces the fan energy use by over 85%.
The benefits of using an EcoCooling system
- Experienced innovators in fresh air solutions and controls
- Free solution consultancy and design assistance
- Modular systems can reduce capital cost
- Advanced control systems
- Patented products and controls
- Internal and external product ranges
- UK manufacturers – Critical spares all ex-stock
- Worldwide remote commissioning service
- Qualify for Salix funding
An energy efficient and reliable alternative to refrigeration for data centre cooling
We’ve built a strong reputation through the delivery of excellent service and results
Eligible for Carbon Trust energy efficiency loan
- Single box unit including the control system, supply fan, cooling system and dampers.
- For complete peace of mind, a sophisticated leak detection and alarm system have been incorporated into all of our internal products.
- Humidification: ECT units can be fitted with a humidification option to avoid low relative humidity non-compliance.
- Units can be placed externally or in a plant room
- Modular Units mean expansion is cost-effective
- Controlled by central touch-screen CREC control system
- Units can be stacked for larger air flow requirements
- Free Cooling units can be used with backup AC
- Uses the same CREC controller as standard CREC systems
- Energy efficient inbuilt EC fans
- Easy installation and maintenance
- Bolt on cooling modules available
Let SMARTech Heating & Cooling define and design the right solution for you
Talk to us to see how we could help you save money
Contact us to book your free energy consultation
Download our latest customer Case Studies
Download our latest customer product brochures
We would be delighted to discuss how we can be of assistance.
If you have a question or would like more information then please complete this form and we will be in contact.